Today I’m linking up with EatPrayRunDC, YouSignedUpForWhat? and MarOnTheRun for the #FridayFive. The theme is “Five Things I Love About My Favorite City.” Well, it just so happens that my favorite city is my hometown! Asheville is located in the mountains of Western North Carolina. For being so small (pop. 75,000) it is packed with greatness! Frommer’s just listed it as one of the number one cities in the world to visit in 2015! So here are five reasons why I love my hometown:
1. Location, location, location! Asheville is located in one of the most beautiful areas of the country! Smack dab in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains it’s close proximity to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, it is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream come true. Some of the best mountain biking, trail running, white water kayaking, hiking, and backpacking can be found here. World class athletes live here because of the close proximity to trails.
2. Food! Asheville is definitely a foodie’s town! It is starting to make a name for itself on the national food scene. Whatever you are looking for it is here! The hottest restaurant in town right now is Curate’. Chef Katie Button trained at the world renown elBulli and shares her talent and passion with the Asheville food scene.
3. Beer! Deemed “Beer City USA” there are now more breweries per capita than any city in the US! Some big names in brewing including Sierra Nevada and New Belgium have discovered this sweet little city and are calling it home.
4. The Biltmore House! This beautiful estate is the largest private home in the country. If you like Downton Abbey you will love the Biltmore House. I liken it to a museum. It has one of the most amazing art collections including Sargent, Boldini and Renoir. My favorite part is the grounds. Comprising over 125,000 acres I liken it to Asheville’s own “Central Park” as the grounds were designed by the renowned landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted.
5. The arts! There are hundreds of artists studios downtown and in the River Arts districts. You will find every style, every medium. Many are known nationally and internationally. One of my favorite artists is Spencer Herr.
There you have it! What I love about my favorite city! Have you been to Asheville? What do you like about it? What is your favorite city?